Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Walker Wrong On Holdout...Right on Favre

In Wednesday's edition of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Javon Walker's stepfather Charles Goldsmith explained why Walker's dislike for the organization has grown so sour that he will never play for them again. Now, I'm all for honoring contracts, and Walker did show up last year to play even though he was unhappy. But Goldsmith's statements about Brett Favre, and his stepson's dislike for the 3-time MVP are not unique...and it's not just Walker. There have been rumblings in the Packer locker room for quite a while that #4 is not the most popular guy on the team. Many players were upset at Favre's statements about Walker and felt if he would throw him under the bus, they could be next.

Here's a good example from my business, radio. What if I had a contract with my company, that was pretty good, then the ratings came out and I was #1 and helped make the company lots and lots of money. So i go to managment, and ask for a new deal, since I did so well. Then the other DJ at the company who, had been there for a long time and was already making 10 times as much as me came out and said. "Wade shouldn't be getting a raise, he's under contract." Regardless if he was right or wrong...I would be pissed at that guy, for basically trying to take money out of my pocket and take food off of my families plate. So Walkers and other players dislike for Favre I guess is understood.

Goldsmith's statement about the Packers stingyness to pay players on the roster and letting players go such as the guards last year, and the slow process to sign Bubba Franks and other players is something that players have griped about as well.

Again, I don't think Walkers feelings about Green Bay are isolated. There are many in the current locker room that feel the same way, and this organization could be ready to or already has imploded.

There's a reason many players are leaving Titletown and not giving the Packers a chance to keep them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home