Sunday, January 13, 2008

Packers To Host NFC Title Game!




As I sit here at my computer thinking about what I should type about the Packers, I'm not sure if it's sunk in yet that the Packers will be hosting the NFC Title game a week from today and have a very good shot at returning to the Super Bowl. Gulp...Double Take....I can't believe I just typed that.


First off, I have to admit that I was wrong about this team and Brett Favre. I thought the ceiling for this team was 8, maybe 9 wins if all of the stars alligned in 2007. On paper heading into the season, looking at the early schedule, and the roster, I thought as a whole the team was too young to get it done and the QB was too old to get it done. After they somehow found a way to beat Philly in the opener, I still felt that way. The Packers didn't spent much or virtually nothing in free agent money this offseason and stood pat with what they had as Ted Thompson was continuing to build for the future. I guess the future is now. The youth on the team has been solid all season. James Jones' first half melt-down against Bears early in the season and then Ryan Grant's two fumbles early could have sent those guys into tail spins, but they didn't.


As I've written before, I was wrong about Brett Favre. I thought the team has a better chance of returning to glory by Favre retiring and speeding up the rebuilding process with Aaron Rodgers. Boy was I wrong. Old #4 has been spectacular...minus that first half in Dallas...all season long. I give Mike McCarthy a lot of credit on this one. From the start he's treated his veteran QB like another member of the roster. He held him accountable for his mistakes and it actually looks like he's coached him. What that says about coaching staffs after Mike Holmgren is another story. Favre has been great, and as he said after Saturday's win over the Seahawks when talking about his underhanded toss to David Martin...."I looke Old and unathletic" Well, old and unathletic is getting the job done.


As for Saturday's win. Down 14-0 early, you got the feel that it could have been a re-do of the Atlanta Falcon's playoff win at Lambeau a few years back. This Packer team didn't fold though. They marched down the field and scored TDs on six straight possessions. Game Over.


If you're like me, you love games where the weather plays a factor. Snow, rain, whatever. It's fun! And it was fun being at Lambeau on Saturday night. At one point, you could not see the Seattle sidelines or the other side of the stadium from the Press Box. I think every reporter and member of the Packres and Seahawks PR staff busted out the digital camera or the cell-phone camera to take a picture of snow covered, frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. (I'm included on this one, as you can see with the above photo)


Early forecast for next Sunday. A high of 11 during the day. The game kicks off at 5:30pm so look for single digits for this one!


Who's Ryan Grant? Who's James Jones? Who's Atari Bigby? Who's Tramon Williams? You can go on and on. A linebacker playing fullback, a first round pick that didn't sniff the field most of the year. Regardless of who or what happened. Green Bay is a winner. Green Bay is hosting the NFC Title Game and Green Bay has a great shot at going to the Super Bowl.


News-Talk 1450 KFIZ will be your home for Packer news leading up to next Sunday's game. Listen for press conference audio and other Packers news as Green Bay looks to return the the Super Bowl. Of course you'll hear next Sunday's game on News-Talk 1450 KFIZ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home