Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Packer Mini-Camp


Yeah, I know this is a bit late, but I thought, I'd give my take on what I saw at the first Packer mini-camp this past weekend. First off, I know this is only mini-camp and you really don't get a good feel for a player until they put the pads on at mini-camp and can hit and be hit. But here's my take on what I saw inside the Don Hutson Center..

1. Aaron Rodgers looked pretty good for the most part. His time spent in Green Bay in the offseason I think has paid off for him. He looked stronger both physically and throwing the football. He also looked like he was now "part of the QBs." Ie, last year a lot of times at practice it looked like he was an outsider with Favre and Nall yucking it up and Rodgers in the background. At least this weekend Rodgers looked like he was interacting much more with Favre. Does Favre really have a choice now with all of his buddies gone?

2. The two rookie offensive lineman are kind of interesting. Daryn Colledge looks like he's going to be a player. Sometimes you can just tell when a guy has talent, and I think he does. Jason Spitz out of Louisville, has as a great hair-cut. It's sort of a perm-afro combo that is very unique. I also found out that Spitz has a Wisconsin connection. I believe his dad lived in the Milwaukee area.

3. WR Greg Jennings looks like he could be a player. Now receivers don't usually put up big numbers in their first year, but he was sharp. Mike McCarthy even commented after Friday's workout that he thought Jennings was Donald Driver at one point when watching a drill because his technique was so solid.

4. It was good to see Brett Favre at mini-camp, but I was disappointed to find out that he won't be at the minicamp that starts on May 19th. If Brett really wants to win, he should be there as the leader of the team. If he doesn't work-out fine, but he should still be there to set an example for the younger players.

5. I find it funny that Charles Woodson is wearing #2 at practice and he'll be #21 in games. Woodson wants to wear his college number again, but the NFL has strict rules as to what numbers players can wear at each position in games. Reggie Bush is also trying to get the league to let him wear #5, which is not allowed for running backs.

6. I like Mike McCarthy on the sidelines. He is very much involved. He lets his coaches do their jobs, but he's not afraid to jump in there and be vocal and coach. Sherman was more of the general watching from a distance at practice.

7. The linebackers will be interesting to watch this year. Right now, Hawk is on the weak-side, Barnett's in the middle, and Roy Manning is on the outside. Don't be surprised if Abdul Hodge somehow gets in the mix.

Those are just my takes....again it's only mini-camp, it'll be nice to see these guys in pads later this summer and get a better idea of what we'll see from the 2006 Green Bay Packers. I still think 8 wins is high water mark for this team this year. FYI...CNNSI.com had Green Bay as the worst team in football next year and picking first in the 2007 NFL Draft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home