Monday, October 08, 2007

Random Thoughts from Lambeau




I'm not going to dwell on the Packers meltdown last night at Lambeau, but here are a few non-game releated items of note.

*The stars were out at Lambeau last night. I'm not talking about Favre, Driver, Hawk, or even Don Majkowski who payed a visit to his old team. I'm talking celebrities...some A-List celebs made the trip to Titletown. Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel were in the house. They weren't the only "power couple" in Green Bay as Ashtun Kutcher was there in a Packer hat along with wife Demi Moore. Former Dawson's Creek star James Van Der Beek was also taking in the game. A funny celeb moment came on the field before the game. A young man approached Timberlake and asked him if he could record his voicemail message on his cell phone. OK, it would be cool to have a celeb do your voicemail, but I thought that was a bit much.

*The UW Marching Band was at the game last night...that's always fun! The tuba section spelled out NICE CLIPBOARD REX on their tubas.

*Sometimes being in the media and sitting in the press box shields you from the fans. Leaving the stadium about midnight there was still a large amount of people lilngering around the area. I thought peoeple would get out quick with the loss and Monday being a work day for most normal folks. It wasn't the case last night. And it was nasty. I heard more F-bombs walking from my car than I hear in a month. I guess the Packer-Bear rivalry still lives...at least with the fans. In the locker room I think the guys look at it as another division game. The Vikings is the game they jacked up for.

*There was a T-Shirt giveaway before the game last night....and for a while I thought I was at the Penn State-Wisconsin game because lots of people put on those shirts, but they were white. It looked like the "White-out" the fans have in State College. Whoever sponsored that should have made the shirts green or gold to fit the Packer colors.

*A loss like last night kicks a lot of Packer fans in the gut, and I'm sure many fans lost sleep last night as it was a game the Packers should have won. The locker room is a different story. There are some guys that just move and other that it bothers. Looking in the eyes of Donald Driver and a guy who had a tough game like James Jones they were upset. Other players took a different root. Ryan Pickett told me...."Hey, we weren't going to win them all!" That's how I think many players in not only pro football, but in pro sports fell in general. I can't count how many times I've been in a locker room after a tough loss, when guys are on their cell phones, making plans for their night on the town or yucking it up with teammates. It's just not the way it used to be. ..losses are just chalked up as sub-par day at work and they move on.

*Also, lots of fans love primetime Packer games at Lambeau, but I can tell you most members of the media hate them with a passion. For a newspaper writer it means rushing through a story to get it into the morning edition of the paper. TV people end up doing late night post game shows. Lance Allen from WTMJ was there late last night, and then if you woke up and caught the 6am news on Channel 4 out of Milwaukee, there he was doing a live interview talking about the game. I left Lambeau about 12:15am, this morning, drove back to the radio station to take care of all of my various postgame duties, like editing sound bites that you hear on the morning sports, and also putting stories up on the Internet. It was 3am when I was finished. With Jerry St. John, on vacation as the KFIZ Breakfast Club morning show host, it was my duty to ancher the show from 6am to 10am. Since it was 3am and I usually arrive about 4:30am when I host for Jerry, I didn't even go home, Just take a quick nap on the coach, and its back to work for another week! Don't get me wrong, we all love what we do, but the noon starts are much better for the sleep schedule!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home