Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It must stink to be a Cubs fan!


I made my annual trek to Wrigley Field on Sunday. I'm not a Cubs fan, but I appreciate baseball and like the atomosphere at the "Friendly Confines." As a friend of mine said as we drove down to the North side, "Now we have to drive through Milwaukee to see bad baseball."

Now, I'm one of those guys that thinks is funny how the Cubs can continue to rip the hearts out of their fans. In one week you had two runs score on a sac fly and then there was Sunday.

Jae Kuk Ryu was making his first Major League start and gets lit up by the Braves. Four HRs in 1 and a third innings of work. And they were no cheapies. The wind was blowing out but it wouldn't have mattered. He was groovin' in there like it was BP.

Of course I could only laugh at the Cubs fans sorrows of their horrible team. Listening to the frustation was just fabulous! Whether "Dusty should be fired," or they should "Trade Wood and Prior," or even the one word not allowed to be discussed but is....Bartman!

Sitting there watching the Braves move around the bases like that Bugs Bunny baseball cartoon...one after the other going yard as people start to leave.

Then in the bottom of the 9th, just like the Cubs always do...they have their fans some hope. Even if it was for one meaningless game in May. They rallied to put up four in the 9th to tie and left the winning run at third. So, then the people who got up to leave, trickled back to their seats, thinking the boys could do it!

I DON'T THINK SO....In typical Cubs fashion, in the top of the 11th, a high pop-up to Aramis Ramirez bounces off his head. The runner gets to 2nd and scores a few batters later and the Cubbies lose again.

Now, I'm laughing my butt off at this point as people are litterly sitting there in disbelief. I'm sorry, but it was great! The Cubs are cursed and will be cursed forever. It makes for a good story....how can they lose again???

We'll have wait and see, but I'm sure on a much bigger stage, the Cubs will someday get back into contention and again, rip the hearts out of their dedicated and beloved fans!

I can't wait.

1 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 

Post a Comment

<< Home