Monday, October 15, 2007

Thoughts from Lambeau: Packers vs. Redskins


OK...The Packers somehow found another way to win a game ugly to take a 5-1 record into the Bye week. The team will be off from Wednesday until next Tuesday when they will report back to get ready for their Monday Night Football game on October 28th at Denver.


It shows you what I know....as I had Green Bay 1-5 heading into the bye before the season...I had their only win being against the Redskins.


Here are some non-game related tidbits from Sunday's game at Lambeau.


1. The celebs continue to show up at Packer games. For the Sunday night game, there were a handful of Hollywoods stars at the game. Against, Washington, you had Wisconsin's own NASCAR hero Matt Kenseth at the game and he had the one and only Dale Earnhardt, Junior with him. Throw in Redskin coach Joe Gibbs, who owns a NASCAR team, and I bet there were a lot of left turns in the parking lot.


2. On the local front, I ran into former Wisconsin Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager at the game with her family. She was there with Maryland Attoreny General Douglas Gansler. It turns out that Mr. Gansler moonlights as some sort of Redskins correspondent for Comcast Cable.


3. With the Redskins being in town, there were your usual handful of protestors with signs in hand picketing the team nickname.


4. I think I've become soft in my old age. It started to rain mid-way through the first quarter and I was glad I was in the press box. There's nothing worse than a cold-wet rain. I'd rather have it 15 to 20 degrees colder and deal with the snow. It didn't seem that the rain kept many fans from enjoying the game. It got me thinking...when was the last time I actually sat in the stands at a Packer game.....Looking at the media guide, it was the 1999 opener against the Raiders. Brett Favre hit tight end Jeff Thomason with a late TD pass to give Ray Rhodes the win on September 12th, 1999. Boy, that was a long time ago.


5. I saw my first blaze orange at the game! Some guy was in a blaze orange snow suit...now it was a bit nippy, but that dude must have been sweating his tail off by the end of the game.


6. I'm a big fan of the pregame fly-over. It seems every Packer game there is some sort of military plane or helicoptor flying over. The best are when the jets buzz the stadium at a high rate of speed and actually shake the press box windows. On Sunday, the piolots didn't get the direct shot over the stadium so I could barly get a glimpse. I also wonder how they time it so they zoom across right as the National Anthem is wrapping up. All in all, they are great! I wis I could get a flyover at a local high school game.


OK...that's all I have from Sunday...next week is a bye weeks, so we have Sunday off. I'll check in later in the week and tell you where I'm going to be. If you're a fan of "old school" pro wrestling in the Midwest, you may be interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home